Posts for tag: dental crowns
Do you need crowns from your Grand Haven dentist?
Crowns are vital for your dental health, as well as being economically-friendly. Often confused with veneers, crowns are quite different. Veneers adhere to small areas, but crowns cover the whole tooth.
More About Crowns
They improve your smile and protect your teeth. They are synthetic caps placed over teeth and usually made of porcelain. Crowns help reinforce weakened teeth and hide aesthetically unflattering teeth. Often referred to as caps, crowns are used to cover unappealing teeth after undergoing restorative procedures, like root canals and dental implants.
Unsightly teeth can also result from:
- Serious traumas that result in cracks, chips, fractures, or dents
- Poor dental hygiene leading to cavities and severe decay
- Yellowed or stained teeth because of smoking, chewing tobacco, or aging
Crowns are used for several procedures, such as attaching bridges, covering implants, and protecting loose fillings that may completely dislodge.
Your Grand Haven doctor files your tooth, reducing its size, so that it may fit under your crown. An impression of your tooth is taken and sent to a lab where a custom-designed crown is manufactured. Your doctor can provide you with a temporary crown until your permanent crown arrives from the lab.
Caring for Crowns
There are several things you can do to maintain a healthy oral regiment and prolong your crowns, which may last up to eight years or longer.
- Maintain a hygienic oral regimen to avoid plaque buildup and cavities will help crowns last. Make sure your regimen consists of brushing your teeth twice a day, perhaps a third time after lunch, and flossing at least once before bed.
- See your dentist twice a year for professional cleanings, eating healthy and using fluoride-containing products improve chances of your crowns lasting longer.
- Wear a nightguard if you suffer from bruxism, teeth grinding, as well, so make sure you discuss this with your dentist.
For more information on dental crowns, call Dr. John Leitner in Grand Haven, MI, at (616) 842-2850 today!